Repairing the Datacorder on YOUR Sinclair 128k ZX Spectrum +2 (Grey) or +2A (Black) or +2B (Black).
4 in stock
This is a service offered by PopeyMon to repair the tape drive (a.k.a. the Datacorder) on your Sinclair 128k ZX Spectrum +2. The service applies to the Sinclair ZX Spectrum +2 (Grey), +2A or +2B (Black).
The Datacorder can stop loading and saving. It can completely jam up. It can chew tapes. It can even cause hum on the sound.
These problems can be caused by dirt, dust, heat, corrosion, physical damage to keys, the drive belts, the mechanism, poor PCBs, bad repairs and so on.
The Datacorder repair service works like this:
- You pay for this item at the Checkout. The total includes the return postage.
- You package up and pay the postage to send me your Datacorder by extracting it from the case, or send me your whole Sinclair ZX Spectrum +2.
- If you send me the whole Spectrum, I carefully remove the existing Datacorder and fix it.
- I put the repaired Datacorder back in to your +2, or to one of my +2 test machines. I test.
- Optionally, I can perform repairs or other improvement work as requested by you. These services cost extra – please see the services I offer below.
- You pay the Invoice. I send the Datacorder or +2 back to you, carefully packaged.
The costs are:
- £19.99 to attempt to repair the Datacorder on a Sinclair ZX Spectrum +2. The postage cost for returning it to you will be included in the total when you Checkout.
This service is for repairing the Datacorder only. If it becomes uneconomic, I can offer a part-exchange on a fully working tape drive. I will need to see the tape drive in person though to assess the part exchange, so you will have to send it to me.
I also have a set of parts for the entire mechanics of the tape drive. Sometimes I also have the taped drive keys, but these are often out of stock, especially the Grey +2 keys as they have the labels printed directly onto them. The Black +2 keys are plain.
I also sell refurbished Datacorders for both Grey +2 and Black +2 (+2A/+2B).
If you require other services, please ask about those and I can give you a quote. I offer (click the links for more details):
- replacing all electrolytic capacitors on the Spectrum main board
- sourcing and replacing the keyboard membrane on your 16k/48k/+/Toastrack Spectrum
- performing the “composite mod” so that the display is much better and suited to modern TVs
- repairs and improvements to rubber key Spectrum 16k/48k/Spectrum + (Plus) main boards (PCB)
- repairs, improvements and servicing to the Sinclair 128k ZX Spectrum (Grey +2) main board (PCB) plus tape drives and keyboards
- repairs, improvements and servicing to the Sinclair 128k ZX Spectrum +2A/+2B (Black +2) main board (PCB) plus tape drives and keyboards
- repairs, improvements and servicing to the Sinclair 128k ZX Spectrum +3 main board (PCB) plus disk drives and keyboards
When your Spectrum is with me, I will contact you about any extra work before going ahead.
I also sell games, joysticks, joystick interfaces, power supplies, tape players and leads.
Contact me and I will put together a bundle for you. Please see the article at this link here for more information.